Cleaning solutions can be pretty intense. Whether they’re bleach-based or random mixes of unpronounceable chemicals, ones that demolish everything in sight can be a bit sketchy. If you’re like me, you’re always looking for new DIY projects – especially natural ones – and recently I heard about a simple 2-ingredient cleaning solution made from vinegar and orange peels. Naturally, I decided to investigate!
2-Ingredient DIY Cleaning Solution: Vinegar + Citrus Peels
Vinegar is commonly known for its effective cleaning abilities. Because of its acidity, it’s a superhero at removing some icky buildups: it can remove soap scum, mildew in bathrooms, and that stubborn black residue on gas stoves. It can even remove the holy grail of stains: turmeric. The main deterrent for using white vinegar as a cleaner is its, well, vinegary smell. This DIY solution makes the vinegar smell a little less vinegary.
To Make the Solution:
- Citrus peels (enough to fill up half a mason jar – orange and grapefruit are my favourites)
- Vinegar (enough to fill up an entire mason jar and cover the peels)
- A large mason jar
- A sieve
- A large bowl
- Spray bottle
- First, save your peels in the freezer. If you eat a lot of oranges or grapefruits this is perfect!
- Once you’ve collected enough, put your peels in the mason jar (until they fill half the jar) and then fill the jar with vinegar.
- Let your peels sit for 3-5 days (up to 2 weeks). The longer you let it sit, the more citrusy it will be.
- Once it’s ready, strain out the peels and pour the cleaner into a large bowl. Pour the cleaner into a spray bottle. Use as you would any other all-purpose cleaner! Note: it’s safe on most countertops EXCEPT for marble. All marble folk, simply use water and alcohol!
Have you ever tried making a DIY cleaning solution? How did it go? Let us know!