This week is Pride week in Vancouver. As with most cities during Pride, the city comes alive with festivities, celebration, and, of course, colour! In true Be Fresh fashion, why not celebrate colourful #Pride2018 with a rainbow smoothie bowl recipe?
This rainbow smoothie bowl is not your typical on-the-go breakfast (unlike these overnight oats, for example – perfect for rushed mornings). This gourmet delicacy is for when you’ve got ample time in the morning, like for weekend brunch or if you “do it for the ‘Gram”. So if you’ve got extra time to kill, then give this rainbow smoothie bowl a go!
Rainbow Smoothie Bowl
For the base, choose fruits that you know will make a bright pink/purple-ish colour. I personally like raspberries or dragon fruit. You’ll need:
- ½-¾ cup frozen raspberries (or dragon fruit)
- ½-¾ cup milk of choice (I like almond milk)
- ½ frozen banana
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 tbsp chia seeds for fibre and to thicken
Choose toppings that correlate with each colour of the rainbow. Simple as that. Here are some examples:
- Red: strawberries, more raspberries
- Orange: oranges (duh)
- Yellow: mango, yellow cereal, more banana
- Green: kiwi, pumpkin seeds
- Blue: blueberries
- Purple/pink: your base
- Optional: extra neutral coloured toppings to fluff the whole thing up a bit, like shredded coconut, chia seeds, hemp hearts, or flax seeds
- Blend your base ingredients. Pour into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add your toppings and assemble accordingly.
- You’re done. Now admire your work, take a photo, and eat!
Image source: Driscolls
We’re proud supporters of #Pride and this is just one way to show it. Making a rainbow smoothie bowl is a delicious way to show your support for the LGBTQ2S+ community, but be sure to check out the Vancouver Pride Society for other impactful ways!