Nutritional yeast has been trending for a while. It's a quintessential pantry item for anyone…
It’s that time of year when we use our barbeques more and get together with friends for picnics and potluck dinners. Salads are a great option to bring to a potluck since it’s something that vegans and omnivores alike can and (probably) will eat. Here is an easy salad and, if you don’t tell anyone, no one will know that it is completely vegan!
It’s adapted from a popular creamy cucumber side salad, which is basically sliced cucumbers in a mayonnaise type of dressing. This version is altered somewhat, and of course, the dressing is veganized. This dressing can be used as a dip or a salad dressing and will keep in a sealed container for up to two weeks. This creamy cucumber salad is great with barbecued vegan burgers or enjoyed alongside other salads, like a potato salad.
Creamy Cucumber Salad in Vegan Ranch Dressing
- 1 large cucumber, cubed or sliced
- 1 small jar of capers, drained
- 1 small sweet red onion diced or a bunch of green onions, chopped
- 1 ¼ cups cashews
- ¾ cup water
- 2 T. lemon juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried dill weed 1/4
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Put all dressing ingredients in your blender and blend until it is smooth. To make your dressing more smooth, we recommend soaking your cashews for at least four hours. If you can’t do this though then the dressing will still work out just fine.
- In a separate bowl, put sliced cucumbers, capers and red onions in a small salad bowl. Mix in as much dressing as you like to suit your preferences. Mix well. Once mixed, let it all sit covered in the fridge for an hour or two – this intensifies the flavours.
- Serve as a side to vegan burgers or sandwiches. Enjoy!